Wondering what the most popular Halloween costumes are for 2013? As you know, we take Halloween very seriously in this house! After all, our street gets over 400 Trick-or-Treaters in three plus hours! Picking the right costume can mean the difference between getting voted “coolest” house and being TP’d. Choosing the “right” costume is a family event. This year, much to Adam and my dismay, there has been a bit of dissention in the ranks and Lulu has elected to go it alone. So we decided to check out what costume choices are trending this fall in hopes that there won’t be too many Steam Punk Pirates or Endermen walking the streets of Highland Park. Top 10 Halloween Costumes Over-All in 2013
- Drop Dead Gorgeous: Yes, zombies are all the craze thanks to shows like “The Walking Dead.” Last year Lulu embraced the trend and wreaked havoc on her neighbors as a zombie child. (In my opinion, best costume EVER!)
Minecraft: Somebody stop me before I scream. Suddenly, our 10 year old is demanding that I dive in dumpsters to recover cardboard boxes, paint them black and assemble them as a Halloween costume. She decided to be “Enderman” this year and somehow that is a really big deal. All I know is I just shelled out $30 for a painted black box with purple slots for eyes. I seriously hope this trend is a “one-Halloween-hit” wonder.
- Adventure Time: Have you heard of Jake, Finn, Fiona, Princess Bubblegum or the Ice King? Me neither. But according to the Spirit of Halloween site, they are a hot commodity
- Super Heroes: Not a shocker and I expect to see my share of Superman, Batman and Iron Man this Halloween. Don’t forget, you can also secure a super-hero costume for your super canine too!
- Princesses! Oh! Those princesses are EVERYWHERE this year and they’re not just for little girls either. A sexy Ariel? King Triton would be horrified!
- Killers: Yes, it’s time to get the bejeezus scared out of us by pint-sized killers. Look for Dexter this year with his buddies: Mike Myers, Freddy Kruger and the “Scream” ghost.
- Angry Birds: One word: Again?? Okay, can we please move on from 2011’s hottest costume?
- “Minions! Oh! Universal Studios, you know we still love you! And we love the cuddly yet mischievous yellow minions too. There is a lot of variety from which to choose: some with hats, hair, goggles…Be sure to check out the DIY costumes found on www.despicableme.com/group/minion-wear.
- Venellope: From Wreck-It-Ralph. It’s a definite DIY if you have the time, patience and the talent.
- Celebrities: I am beginning to wonder how many Miley Cirus look-alikes we are going to have to endure this Halloween? Worse, I am still trying to figure out what to tell Lulu should she see a Miley clone. Hannah Montana, she ain’t.
Top 5 Children’s costumes: Overall anything related to movies or animated shows are trending.
- Despicable Me 2: Minions…minions…minions
- Monster’s University
- Super Heroes
- Sofia, the 1st.
- Doc McStuffin: Personally, I am really looking forward to seeing this costume. Too cute!
And now….my FAVORITE list for 2013: The NEW Costumes
- Duck Dynasty: Don’t believe me? Here’s the link from Fantasy Costumes: http://www.fantasycostumes.com/shop-by-theme/adult-halloween-costumes-by-theme/duck-dynasty-costumes/duck-dynasty-willie-adult-costume/
- Green Ninja Avenger
- Steam Punk: See Mom? I really am on trend this year!
- Women from the 20’s: With the popularity of Boardwalk Empire and the costumes from The Great Gatsby, it’s inevitable that there are plenty of 20’s inspired parties being held this Halloween
- Jake and the Neverland Pirates
- Teen Banana Zombie: It’s best not to ask
- Totally 80’s: I think that I am offended by this
- Batman Classic 1966 Series Grand Heritage Batwoman: Just saw a Barbie dress in this garb. If Barbie’s wearing it, it must be popular, right?
- Skylanders: Deluxe Crusher
- Morph suits: Okay, I DID see people wearing them last year but I’ve noticed that there are a lot more variations. American flag morph suits anyone? Creepy!
So, what’s it going to be? Are you standing out in the crowd with your fancy-pants costume or are you following the pack? It looks like we are doing a bit of both. If you are in the Chicago area and in need of one of these costumes, you may want to skip the pop-up Halloween shops and hit Fantasy Costumes. They seem to have the best (and strangest) variety of costumes this year. Also, they’re open 24 hours/day the week before Halloween. There’s nothing like buying a Halloween costume at 3 o’clock in the morning.
Disclaimer: Not one of these stores, brands, sites or products paid me a red cent (or any other form of currency including helping me with my Halloween costume,) Not one. Just thought you should know.